Monday, April 20, 2009

Still Life with a Toothbrush (Day 1)

Here are models for this week's still life project - my toothbrush and an almost empty toothpaste sitting around my bathroom sink.


First, I sketched out on my 16 x 20 inch canvas with a china marker. I like using the china marker because it gives bold, clear lines and doesn't leave much powdery stuff unlike a charcoal.


Then I applied acrylic underpainting. I chose acrylic for this task because it dries fast allowing multiple layers in one day!


I continued to underpaint warm colors for the sink and the wall.


Then I started underpainting cool colors on the metal faucet, some spots on the toothbrush and the toothpaste.


Finally I added purplish blue on the shadows and some red lines around the objects. Here is the finished underpainting waiting for a "nice oil treatment", which will start mañana.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool ! Thank you for taking the extra time to post frequent in progress shots and text

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see! Your line drawing is wonderful. I like the unique composition of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, it's really fun to see your process - I look forward to the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting the process, wery interesting your tretment with cerulean blue on shadows.
    Best, Marco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the technique you used in your painting. You are truly an artist! I'm showing this to my brother so he can try and do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete