Saturday, May 9, 2009

New York cityscape - Day 1

Today I finally decided to try Karin Jurick's Different Strokes from Different Folks (DSDF) challenge. She invites artists to enter their paintings created based on the photo images posted on her blog. For more info on Karin Jurick and her blog, click here and go to May 3rd. posting. The challenge photograph this time is a New York cityscape (see above).

First I toned my canvas with acrylic burnt sienna to generate warm feelings on the overall painting. Although I intend to paint in oil, my underpainting would be in acrylic. As I mentioned on my earlier postings, I'm taking advantage of acrylic's fast drying quality. Then I sketched out rough outlines with my yellow oxide acrylic. Here is what I've got so far. Tomorrow I'll start underpainting blocks - can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Yea!! Peter's jumping in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,
    Good for you. I have this project on my calendar and you are so far ahead of me. I can tell it is going to be a great one. Thanks also for your very kind comments on my blog. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete